Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Wedneday Like Retirement

I resolved to first get organized, then do my morning exercise; as a result, I was both not organized and not exercised. Well, that's a learning. At 10, I met Soy at MacPherson's Produce at 10am to shop for Seattle FEEST. When I got home, I took a walk around the house while putting the emptied trash cans back (it was garbage and recycling pickup day) and noticed some new flowers.
 Lily Was Here
Also, they had delivered my earbuds, which I hope will help with web based presentations.
I had had two free CLEs scheduled, but had to skip one because of shopping. That's ok, I've got plenty of credit. I just like to learn stuff.
At 4:30 I was home and comfy for the WPTL Executive Committee meeting - much better than my usual practice of holding the phone up to my ear on the bus. I was voted onto the Executive Board to fill a seat vacated by non-attendance. We discussed a committee for online productions: Me, Camille, Dwight. I suggested Camille as chair, since committees need chairs, I didn't want another responsiblity, and it's good to give newer members opportunity. She seemed pleased.
We reviewed recent actions - and, since someone mentioned remote meetings, I brought up the subject of meeting by Zoom. Some were dubious; phone calls can be more efficient without visual distractions. Others said
(A) at $15/month, it's cheaper than the phone conferencing we're using,
(B) it makes us seem more legit,
(C) additional flexibility/options in meeting are good.
I made a couple of public commitments so I would actually accomplish the tasks (otherwise they would be shoved aside by sudden urgencies):
  • To ask Eileen about WSBA's rules for online meetings on Zoom or other tools. Does the Section need its own license or are there other issues? This email I'll send by the weekend and get back to XCom by 29th 
  • To draft the seminar learning document and share with the Committee within a month 
After this, I took my brief walk around the block, then logged into the Kent TM meeting. I could not get my new earbuds to work! Once I put them away, my speakers were stil not working with zoom. The backup for this isto call in by phone, which Heather recommends anyway in case the connection is bad.
The meeting was fun, as they usually are, and I am learning lots of little things that are useful in online meetings. One person had the camera maybe on a coffee table, so her knees were bigger than her head. This was distracting.
Now it is past 9 and I am needing to sleep. Arthur comes by an goes "huh!" which is his sign.
Is this what retirement will be like?

No comments: