Monday, April 13, 2020

COVID Route Monday

Masks for Everett
This morning, after the usual exercises, I planned out my route, and replanned as other pople's plans changed and then as I laid out the route on a map and discovered that Renton was farther away than I thought. When it all was ready, first I mailed the kids' masks at USPS. Then  I went to Renton to get the Mask Brigade masks to take to Providence in Everett tomorrow. I got back in time for lunch and then off to MacPherson's veggies to start shopping for FEEST.
If I had recognized MacPherson's as the veggie stand on the way to the VA hospital, it would have been a much less stressful drive. For some reason, Google maps stopped talking to me as I drove so I missed the 1st exit, whereas if I'd known where I was going I would have gotten there on autopilot.
Today we had 4 shoppers for 4 families, so the shopping itself went fast. However stores now have limits on the number of people allowed inside. We happened to get there at a slack time so we didn't notice the limit, but as we cashed out people started being halted and lining up. Several of us went outside to free up slots and there I had a pleasant conversation with another masked FEEST shopper. She's a speech therapist for the school district, so she's not working all the time; she can do a little over the internet. I recalled the speech therapy I'd had at home very young, maybe 5 or 6. The man had a tape recorder which fascinated me because I could hear my voice. He also had a book of words that I was supposed to read and must have had some problems with - in particular the "ook" sound: book, look etc. I must have had trouble figuring out "look" because he helpfully turned the o letters into eyes, by dotting pupils and drawing simple eyelashes. The pleasure of recognition in that instant is one of my earliest memories.
After MacPeferson's we went to the Ranier Safeway for dairy, meats and cleaning supplies. I delivered for 2 families since one shopper's call was mostly full of firewood. On my way home I got a call from one of the families' neighbors, asking if I knew when her shipment was coming; I apologized and gave her Leigh's number.
 I got home in time for the last half of Reema's Zumba class - better than no class!
Now I'm having dinner and writing in my journal.

Mailing the Kids' Masks


No comments: