VA's 2-page information sheet, the Veterans Field Guide to Government Shutdown summarizes the services that will be available and those that will be impacted by a lapse in appropriations.
The Veterans Health Administration is forward-funded and so VA will still be able to provide some services. All VA medical facilities and clinics will remain fully operational including inpatient/outpatient care, prescriptions, surgery, dental treatment, extended care, mental health care, nursing home care, special health care services for women Veterans and Vet centers.
Additional services that will be available:
- Military sexual trauma counseling
- Readjustment counseling services
- Veterans Crisis Line
- Insurance processing
- Home loan processing
- My HealtheVet – all services
- Education benefits claims will be processed
- Vocational rehabilitation payments will be processed
- Compensation and pension claims will be processed
- Acquisitions Logistics Center will accept and fill prosthetics supply orders
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Small Businesses will be open
Payments to be made Oct. 1 include disability and compensation, and education benefits payments.
And think about calling your Congresscritter!