Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Tuesday: Barre, Masks and Toastmasters

Around the time I turned 60, my YMCA changed our Saturday morning class to "Barre Basics". I thought "Whatever, I just need something to start the weekend off" and was prepared to be unimpressed.
Hahaha! The class kicked my glutes....also my calves, thighs, and several other body parts. It was "Exercise Unplugged" - no fancy equipment, just your body and gravity. That is enough!
In the years since, I have noticed many improvements in my strength and balance. Walking Seattle's slippery winter hill sidewalks will never be easy but I have vastly more control now. In terms of raw barre technique, I will never be able to raise my heels more than the height of a ladybug, but I don't need that. I understand the reluctance of men to give barre a try but just pretend you're an astronaut in training for a high-gravity planet and you'll be fine. I was sad when our current COVID19 crisis suspended classes, but I started expanding my morning exercise routine to include both yoga and fitness options, of which Madfit is my favorite. Recently I responded to her standard request for feedback by requesting something barre-ish. I can't be the only one who's said this, but I'm happy this came along this morning. I suggest you try it and prepare to have your glutes beat! (P.S. I love the phrase "Attitude Squats!")


Pam in front of the small house,
with mask donation
After I recovered, it was time to pick up a couple of sets of masks for the Seattle Mask Brigade. I had a delightful chat with Pam, whose adult children were the donors; they are sharing a plot, one couple in the main house and the other in a small backyard house that looks to be a converted garage. She expressed interest in sewing masks so she texted me a message for me to respond with information.We are in a crisis and that is a great tragedy, but it is also an opportunity to build community.

Surgical Mask Donation
In the early afternoon, I drove the 500 surgical masks that I'd picked up Renton yesterday, up to Providence in Everett. The collection point was the Colby campus, so it might not have technically be the building where I was born, but it was the same hospital so what the heck! I tried to get a good photo of the donation but could not figure out the pose.
I met Dave at the waterfront park (on the cliff over the rail line) and we talked stuff for an hour or two.
In the evening the Executive Committee of Toastmasters 832 (West Seattle) met. My VPE report noted that we were on track to earn our President's Distinguished Award, but Karen noted we were falling below the minimum membership. We need to have recruited 5 new members, or be over 20 members; at the least, we need 1 more new member by June. I feel we can reach more prospects by increasing our marketing of online meetings, but we still have a problem converting prospects to members. This is something to think about.

No comments: