Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The New Normal

It's Tuesday, and my cats wake me at the usual time because they're hungry! The fact that I'm not going into work is completely irrelevant; my first duty is to feed them.
I hear a faint maowing. Ginny went out last night and I forgot to stay up intil she returned. The weather is chill but decent; she's miffed but not distressed when I let her in.
I do my exercises: 20 minutes of yoga, a full body, low impact workout that makes me sweat, then a standing abs workout: more sweat. Then a hot hot shower!
Ed the houseguest says good morning; he's off to give somebody a ride.
I make the coffee. I harvest a pan of miner's lettuce, because it's the season, and also snip the dandelion flowers that have erupted since last time. The ones in the front yard I leave as a warning to others (also because I'm reluctant to consume something grown next to the road - but maybe that's not really an issue); the others go into the salad or cooking pot.
I blanch the miner's lettuce and baggie it for freezing; it'll be a nice addition to soups or omelets later in the year.
I do some writing: yesterday's blog journal, a facebook post compared Trump to the Joker, and start this day's journal entry (which you are now reading).
Late in the morning I have a web meeting about WSBA's webinar facility; WPTL members Anne (our next section Chair) and Dwight (who's been shadowing a couple of programs) needed to get official training so they could serve as producers, and I sat in to see what I'd missed in training (...probably forgetting everything I didn't use....) and comment on my experience. This went very well; WSBA's Devorah is a good trainer and very knowledgeable; Anne and Dwight are smart indeed.
Ed my houseguest was out much of the day, helping drive people around or doing some odd jobs. He very much wanted to help around here so I asked him to expand my garden along the fence. I am conernd because he's in the hospital a lot, but he assures me his only limitation is on how much he can lift;  If he gets tired gardening, he'll just stop.
Later in the day he went out to get his mail from his old place. Even later than that, his friend Mike came by and we almost shook hands by reflex; at the last moment I stopped and we bumped elbows, to be safe. It is unfortunate that I have to think of housemenates and guests in terms of disease potential.
I harvested, blanched and froze another bit of miner's lettuce. Thee's also a lot of stuff with a purple flower but I haven't figured out what it is; google photos keeps picking out the wrong stuff. If it's edible then I want to know! I don't want to be overly dramatic but having backup food is not a bad idea.
I spent much of the rest of the day thinking I had a couple of Toastmasters meetings but finding information only about one. A distressing number of emails did not specify which date and time they were talking about; as a result, I realized very late that I was double booked, and had to bow out of one. The lesson for me is to continue included date and time or another unique identifier whenever I write.
Kiara came by to pick up the items she needed; otherwise stuff in her room can go into storage. She offered and I accepted to buy her furniture; she needs the money ad not to worry about her stuff. I need to have the room decorated so nicely, and to move in when it becomes available. I will miss the purple bed but I deserve nice stuff if it's in my house.

No comments: