Monday, January 20, 2020

Miner's Lettuce In Our Seattle Winter

The Miner's Lettuce  adds variety and vitamins to our salads and pizzas (...yes, I put greens on my pizza. Try it!).
For years, I treated it like a weed, ripping it out of my West Seattle home garden and cursing its tenacity.
One day, I saw it at the grocer. What?
I little research taught me that I'd been discarding perfectly decent food. No more!
Miner's lettuce is in season in April and May, but I'm seeing it grow in my south-facing areas today! Perhaps our moderate winter (so far) has persuaded it to give it a go. That's fine with me; I'll have a nice salad for lunch!
Notice that it is playing well with the green onions I got at the market and planted in my half-casks for fresh winter greens. (from the newly revived Seattle Urban Agriculture.)

No comments: