Tuesday, January 21, 2020

A Puzzle Trap, and some responses

A friend posted this puzzle:
Someone’s mother has four sons. North, South and East. What is the name of the fourth son. Private message me the name of the fourth son. If you lose, you promise to repost
Naturaly I thought I'd spotted the obvious answer to a simple puzzle, responded "Someone", and got dinged because that was the nature of the trap: an obvious answer that was wrong. Well, so I reposted as promised and collected answers. I don't normally participate in this sort of thing but since I gave into the impulse, I must pay the price, and had a bit of fun along the way.

Susanne Howard What is the name of the fourth son
Jill M Janda Wes
Kisa Emmanuel The namee of the forth son is SOMEONE
Marjorie Farmer Are we assuming Someone is a boy?
Kisa Emmanuel Marjorie Farmer yes
Rayna M. Alsberg Kim Kardashian? Oops. Sorry, not sorry.
Randall E. Winn Various answers, some culled from PM replies, some my own:
(1) "Someone" - this was my first pick. It doesn't seem to have been the intention of the author of this puzzle, see #2 below.
(2) "What" - the most popular alternative. Notice that the sentence "What is the name of the fourth son." ends in a PERIOD not a QUESTION MARK, making it a statement not a question (I did not figure this out.)
(3) "None of the names are shown in this story". Notice that "North, South and East" are preceded not by a COLON but by a PERIOD, making this a sentence fragment that could be meaningless, locations, or proper names. We just can't tell.
(4) "The name of the THIRD son is 'Someone'" - due to the lack of an Oxford comma, "South and East" are clearly one name consisting of three words.
(5) "There is no victory, there is no loss, therefore no need to repost". The request to repost does not establish a loss condition. Perhaps the drafter meant "If what you PM me differs from what I expected, you are a loser" but just didn't say so. Who's the loser now? ===
Have you any additions to this list?
Rayna M. Alsberg omigoodness. So complicated.
Randall E. Winn Rayna M. Alsberg Yes that's part of the fun haha

No comments: