Saturday, July 18, 2020

Free Friday

My big challenge right now is to structure my time so as to accomplish my goals both long-term and short.
I always start off weekdays with exercise, preferably a long walk with friends around a neighborhood. It's low impact, introduces me to new things and the conversations are super fun.
This early evening I have a telecon with Roxy from Toastmasters, checking in on how the Area Director thing is going. The question for this first meeting was to come up with how this fit into my professional goals. To do that, I had to figure out what are my current professional goals. I have long realized that I needed to improve my organizing skills, since what I enjoyed most professionally was enabling others to publish their work to the public, through webinars and other media. I plan to do more WSBA webinars, expand the concept to other sections, and so forth; to do that I need to be better at managing multiple projects with many people and so on. AD plus officer roles in two clubs calls for this, in a low-risk environment: as they say, "Toastmasters is a good place to fail". 
Speaking of failing: I had thought the call was at 5:30 but it was actually 5:00 pm so around about 5:11pm  I got a call. Well ... it worked out anyway, in part because I was prepared and launched into my professional goals rap. I described transitioning for the post-it note system Roxy had suggestion to a kanban system (the word I had gotten from Julie and the rest was research) using Trello as Jovica had suggested. Roxy contributed some sample Trello projects and in general it was a fruitful conversation. I really can feel good about having skills and getting better.
Early in the day while collecting greens I put a couple of invasive snails on the Little Free Library, to pick up for when I went to feed the ducks. At duck time, I found only snail rubble. I guess the crows or something completed that circle of life.
Arthur frequently comes to me and calls. Sometimes he wants food, sometimes he wants out, sometimes he just wants company for his nap. It's my job, I guess.


No comments: