Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Social Distancing Tuesday

I am working on establishing a routine, modified by opportunities such as education opportunities.
I intend to start with cat care and self care - specifically exercise. However, I skipped exercise today with no good reason.
I put in a couple of hours of 4freeCLE updating; there were more COVID-19 webinars, plus many new ones from MBHB. Midmorning I listened to a  GoToWebinar  "Live COVID-19 Q&A with WebMD Chief Medical Officer". It was interested but mostly just confirmed things I already knew.

I responded to Heather's inquiry about helping out at Friday's District D contests with a note about the issues I'd had being timer:
  • For a stopwatch, I was using the Toastmasters app on my cellphone (silenced of course). Partly through a speech, someone called. This overlaid the timing software. I cancelled the call, and the timer reappeared, briefly reading 1:20 then reading 0:38. I puzzled; did the call reset the timer or was I imagining things? Fortunately, the speech concluded while the Karen was still showing yellow, so I concluded the 0:38 was correct and the speech had not run overtime.
  • I forgot about my Alexa. It spoke up to help out at some point, but fortunately I was muted.
  • The rules for when to time a 1 minute end-of-speech pause vs 2 minutes end-of-contest pause are simple but executing on the rule it did not always go correctly. I want to try a full script for the role; easy to write and perhaps silly to need, but I’ve found scripts useful in other kinds of webinars.
  • I started the 1 minute/2 minute times when the TM stopped talking instead of when TM started talking. I puzzled over this but no-one complained.
  • Zoom’s mute/unmute indicators are confusing to me. Intellectually I understand the tool, but execution is problematic. The controls are not beveled, so there is little difference between an active control (something that effects change when you click on it) and a mere display (something that doesn’t change things.) I see the word "mute" in the upper right corner of my image as an indicator meaning that I’m muted, whereas it really means “click here to mute”. The icon in the lower left corner, of an old-school microphone crossed out, contradicts it so when in the moment of action, I have to stop and figure out which one to punch. I took to unmuting 15 seconds before time expired so there would be no impact on performance. 

I called Ed to check whether he's ok; I did not see him here last night or this morning. He told me that he is helping someone with something. Later he called me saying the insurance company was sending someone over to either get started or assess, but finally he called and said no one had showed up so he's coming back here, although he likes to sit in his truck and read.

I tried the noontime WSBA Legal Lunchbox webinar but the link didn't work for me. I wrote to WSBA but I imagine they're pretty overloaded right now, and I don't really needed the credit.


Buy Nothing posted an Alert of free food being distributed at a church I got a couple of bags, leaving one at the door of someone I'd previously got groceries for. The other bag I offered to the lady who begged on Henderson but she rejected it, saying should could only drink Boost because she didn't have her lower plate. I wasn't going to give her money. I suppose she might have lost her plate since the last time she accepted a big mac from me, but maybe not.
Then there was a 2nd announcement saying they had milk. I went back and say milk crates of those little cardboard cartons. I took a bunch, intending to offer them to the lady who begged on Henderson, but habit took over and I went home. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'd texted Heather asking for a bupronex refill for Arthur; she replied that the precription was out because Arthur needed to go in for his annual checkup. Well, I've got plenty of time for that. They explained the procedure; I'd park in the garage and all again; someone would come and get Arthur, then they'd call me when he was done in case I had to make any decisions. It went smoothly; I just read my email and before long got the call. Arthur was down half a pound so they wanted to do blood work if I agreed. I agree. They asked if Vanessa was paying for it, and I suppose I could have said yes since she'd agreed to help with his bills, but I think she'd the support of her local family right now and I'm pretty well off; so I said I'd cover it. Arthur was quiet when he came back; we should have the news soon.
One thing I've noticed is that although he'll eat crunchy cat snacks and sometimes dry cat food, he avoids wet solid food; he loves to lick up the gravy but leaves behind the dried meaty bits. I hafe tried different ways to get him to eat it all but this is not something he wants to do. It seems very wasteful, and now he's losing weight so I wonder if he's just not eating enough.

I worked my way through the outstanding mail, trying to delete anything that was only news and not an action item. I'm done to about 3 action items. When I retire, I'llhave toi get better at this; at least I'm getting plenty of practice!

No comments: