Tuesday, March 23, 2021

A Busy Day

My car is still in the shop because of the electrical problem associated with wipers. It's not safe to drive a car in this area without wipers because it can rain just about any time - especially in this season. But it is a bummer not having transportation; I am not ready to go to another car but I think about it.
Julie and Hannah offered to come over here for the morning walk, which was great!

We Welcome All Kinds Here!

Henry Art?


This takes some explaining. Due to the slope of our pronounced north/south ridgelines, some streets split like this; here the left split connects to the next street, the right split runs out. Evidently the residents felt the "Dead End" sign needed some creative improvement!

--

Around lunchtime, I hosted the seminar "The Intersection of Human and Nonhuman Rights" featuring Professor Stephen Wise. I was really worried about this because we moved from On24 to Zoom, but it all worked out. There were various issues that some of the participants had, but all were problems I could field without impacting the program. I got to ask a few questions at the end, e.g. "What is a person"? "A person is an entity with rights or duties" - and a discussion of the important of that "or" in the context of Wise's litigations over nonhuman rights in the context of the common law (since statutory law is not very helpful) and getting a write of habeas corpus, and a focus on such persons for which there are more humane alternatives to their current confinement, e.g. there are elephant sanctuaries, but no orca sanctuaries.
In the evening, I hosted the SPEAKOUT Seattle Advanced Toastmasters Club meeting because the usual host was scheduled to be out of touch, but I was late because I have it stuck in my head that meetings start at 6:30 - not 5:45. Fortunately I got the call and started the Zoom. I practiced my 20x20 speech about Arthur quite a lot, and it showed. There were a few very helpful comments - which I have already editted into the script - but I think I can develop this speech into something really helpful. I had originally written it as an expression of grief, but for this program I wanted to end with a positive note, and I feel I succeeded.

No comments: