Sunday, August 25, 2019

Weekend

Another relic of a past life
Gone to a neighbor's need
This was a weekend.
I got Facebook and then text messages and then phone calls from Zanna, who I knew slightly from Centennial and then following on Facebook. She's Brazilian-American who did something in technology, moved to San Francisco, and was involved with a church that talked a lot about Jesus. That's about all I know or knew.
The situation now (and everything has to be "she says" because who knows?) is that she is indigent, having gotten out of a bad relationship and survived a nasty blood disease. The immediate problem for which she wants help is that her immigration papers and an apartment of expensive furniture is in storage and about to be auctioned for past due rent. Can I help with the money or negotiate it downward and find a place to store it.
I might be able to use the furniture in my living room but I have cats and she rejected the idea; a leather couch is not going to work with cats.
I don't have much free storage space. Most of it is full of stuff I'm still trying to get rid of myself.
I am unwilling to give money to a lost cause. She has no place to put it if it's shipped to San Francisco, she has no way to store it here, so any money given for back rent will just be a donation to the storage company.
I feel badly.
I tried to discuss some other options but she's not interested. She's obviously mentally or emotionally fragile, and that's understandable, but I will not throw good money after bad.
---
The girls at my house are both pursuing their continuing education and if we can get through the next couple of years will be comfortably off in their professions. I imagine at some point they'll move on and that's life, but for now it's nice to see progress.
---
Saturday I drove Cyril to the VA hospital as the saga of the Healing Garden continues.
---
Sunday I stopped by a nice party by nice people  I met through Highland Park Buy Nothing. I feel happy about that. These are friendship I want to cultivate.
I also dropped off a shelf to a guy through Buy Nothing, who lived at a house Kris and I had tried to look at when house hunting. We never got a good look due to the high fence and I didn't get a good look now, but it amused me.
Earlier, another Buy Nothing neighbor picked up the box of green apples picked from Scott and Dolores' tree last week, promising to bring back some applesauce. I don't need it but I'll be happy to take it!
Later I chattered with Scott and Dolores as they came buy to work on the garage. They were happy the apples were being put to good use and told me to take the rest. After all, they're messy if they fall on the ground.
I had an hour long conversation with Kiara as we drove to Lake Stevens. That was fun but driving back through Seattle wasn't.
---
I did not get a whole lot done for myself this weekend but I suppose I can count the party and conversations as a plus and the rest as an education.

No comments: