Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Ghost Writers In The Skype

I was just phone interviewed for a short bit in a department publication, to be written by them and attributed to me. We tried using skype at my workstation but couldn't figure out the audio. Instead, I went in the hall and talked on cellphone.
The article is a followup to a comment I'd made about how it is easier to downsize if you give things away with purpose. I've found the "Buy Nothing West Seattle" Facebook group most useful for this, but also use consignment stores, general gifting, thrift store and library donations, etc. The key point is that I am not merely getting rid of some part of my life but actively repurposing.
One thing I've learned from Toastmasters is that speaking goes better if you're prepared, even and especially if you don't stick to the text - it's just a launching pad. I drafted an article on repurposing before the interview, so the interview went really well - I mostly repurposed the article. The interviewer will write it up any way he wants but seemed impressed at how well I spoke, how quoteworthy were my comments. Well, I thought, they should be good; I worked on them haha!
Later, I thought skyping ghostwriters was funny and posted the meme on Facebook. It got a few laughs but seemed to be a bit esoteric for most. Ah well, they can't all be Top 10. Trying out material is how you learn about comedy!

No comments: