Sunday, September 30, 2018

Movie Challenge

The Facebook movies challenge is to post a daily image of a movie that affected your life (up to 10 movies) without commentary. I'll put them here as well but with my comments too.

Day 10
"Casablanca" needs no introduction

Day 9
"Wild America" is a fun road trip. To be sure, it was put forth as a vehicle for teenage heartthrobs but seriously, the story is fun!



Day 8
"Hidden Figures" made me look at the Space Race and also computer programming in a whole new way. I had an educated layman's knowledge of both and (apart from Ada Forsyth) had not really thought of the role of race and gender. It struck me that these smart ladies had their career advancement blocked so the space program benefitted from their expertise that in a more free society might have gone elsewhere. They paid the price to get us into space.


Day 7 
"The Producers (2005)" is just pure fun. Or maybe not so pure.
I liked the original very much but this is the rare remake that goes beyond.


Day 6
"Blade Runner" is both the best SF and one of the best film noir ever. Why? It's character-driven.
Not until the climax do we realize that we have been cheering for the bad guy all along.
Roy Batty is an escaped slave fighting for his life, and Decker is just a g0d-d@mned slave catcher.
"Tears In Rain" is also awesome poetry.
My law school friend Shiela Kaufold pointed out Hauer also starred in another fantasy involving a bird: "Lady Hawke". 

Day 5
"All About Eve" is witty and fun and a little bit nasty. What people tend to focus on in this film is the crazy witty dialogue ... which is great stuff ... and the main story ... which is a fine story ... but what makes this special to me is Margo Channing thinking it over and deciding that, what the heck, she's in her 40s, no longer the ingenue, and that is o.k. She is going to have a good time being middle aged, and not pretending to be anything else.
That's a lesson we can all use.

Day 4
"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" - I recall the first time I saw this in an East Lansing theater as clearly as yesterday. I changed the way I saw comedy forever.

Day 3
"Apollo 13" is a great movie in its own right, but I especially loved the charge of the engineers: to the rescue! Sometimes you just have to solve a puzzle, no excuses.

Day 2
"The Seven Samurai" - it was hard choosing between this and "The Hidden Fortress" and "Ran", but I went with the one I saw first.

Day 1

"Singing In The Rain" is worth re-watching annually. It just makes you happy. "Make Them Laugh" might be my motto.




No comments: