Saturday, April 08, 2006

Republishing the Memoirs of William Sampson


For the past few months, I've been working on getting back into print the memoirs of an Irish Protestant lawyer, William Sampson, who in 1798 was tortured and exiled for the crime of defending Catholics in occupied Ireland. He came to America on July 4, 1806 and became a leader in promoting human rights and religious under our Constitution.

His story is a rippin' yarn, full of history, drama, horror and even some humor. Great stuff, but out of print for 190 years.

Progress so far:
1. Confirm it's out of copyright (190 years)
2. Purchase original copy (2d edition, 1817.)
3. Re-enter content.
4. Post content on web for free viewing by anybody: http://rewinn.com/3990
5. Submit content to a Just-In-Time publisher, and order a copy to review: http://cafepress.com/rewinn

I just got the review copy back from the JIT publisher. It's basically o.k. but I have some tinkering to do. Mostly, the page numbers didn't come out right (probably a disagreement between me and the word processor, not the publisher) and I want to neaten up the cover images. But it's all readable as is, but of course I want to make it better!

I'd like to experiment with other JIT publishers too. Anyone with suggestions, please email me at rewinn2003@yahoo.com

No comments: