Saturday, April 25, 2020

Saturday: Up, Down or Sideways

The Flowers Are Rioting In My Parking Strip
Saturday I competed in a Toastmasters contest held over the web, via Zoom.
We had a run through a week ago, and I practiced every day. For the past few days, I set up my own Zoom meeting and recording my run-through. I even gave my speech when our Timebank meeting yesterday finished up and we had some time just to chat (they liked it, relating well to the age stuff.)
So ... of course I had technical problems logging in. The Zoom session said I was waiting for the meeting host to let me in for ages. I was prepared! I logged in via my cellphone, confirmed that the meeting was underway, and got started on the reading of the rules while I rebooted my laptop. Fortunately another speaker was having even greater troubles so I didn't really cause any delay.
This shows the value of logging in early and having a backup path.
Also: I won the contest. Yay!
This was my "Up, Down or Sideways" speech (which I'll post elsewhere). During the usual contestant interview afterwards, the Contestmaster Santiago asked what, in retrospect, should have been an expected question: when did I think it was ok to punch down? That was a direct and wonderful reference to my speech, and it really made me think. Great question! And it gave me something to think about for further speech preparation.
I really enjoy giving that speech. I can deliver it full of spirit and the Zoom format lets me exploit facial expressions - especially in the eyes.
Afterwards, I had a quiet day around the house. I planted about half the seed onions Julie gave me, and moved some sprouts into pots. I resolved to move into the master bedroom now that it has been empty for a couple of weeks; it's time I take full possession of my space.
I had a good talk with one of the Toastmasters Trio, about fulfilling an Area role next year. She made a compelling case for it being an opportunity to practice leadership, which I feel I need. In response to her email broaching the subject, I spoke frankly of my intentions and observed shortcomings, and she responded with reassurance and advice. It will be good to have a mentor and I will repay with service both in Toastmasters and in my other service areas!


No comments: