I decided to give it a try, and discovered that it's as easy as buying a book on Amazon:
- Go to http://kiva.com/
- Pick a person or a project to whom you want to loan. For my 1st time, I just picked the topmost one, but you can scroll through hundreds of choices, sort by type of enterprise, etc.
- Click on Loan Now. This takes you to a "Shopping Basket" similar to buying a book on Amazon.
- When you're done picking loans to fund, you "Check out" - just like online book buying!
- You need to setup an account on Kiva, but they're willing to use your Facebook account if you let them. What the heck!
- Pay with a credit card or PayPal
- Sit back and watch the loan perform on the Portfolio Tracker.
How Kiva Works from Kiva Microfunds on Vimeo.