Tuesday, June 16, 2020

SIM Adventurers

Tuesday nights are usually one or another variety of Toastmasters: a Club 832 meeting, a SPEAKOUT meeting, a committee meeting. This evening was the last for the club 832 year, our celebration of achievements and final filling of officer slots. I volunteered to take the VPPR slot in addition to the VPM slot, and that's the last thing I'm volunteering for ... until the next. But I really have to stop that!
Last week I'd heard about Ting, a pay-as-you-go phone service. Because I was very satisfied with Metromile, I decided to research and try this. The math worked. I got the SIM card in the mail. This afternoon I decided to implement it, and ran into a problem. As per directions, I requested a "Port Out Pin" from TMobile. Within a few minutes, my phone stopped working. It was still running fine; I could access any information on the device, but it had no internet connection and would not make calls. Ooops.
I found this out because I was trying to put the SIM in using the handy provided tool. Since I never mess with my phone's SIM, I had no way to call tech support. I got to the Ting website and tried to get help, and got put into a queue - 6th in line. After 15 minutes and still being 6th in line, I decided to try Skyping tech support. I'd never done Skype on this machine before, but thanks to Professor Google I soon had directions and away we went. Tech support phoneline responded within a couple of minutes and walked me through the process.
Opening the SIM tray was just a matter of pushing harded on the tool. I had been being to gentle because I didn't want to break anything. Once the tray was open, I saw the old sim was a nano but it looked like the one Ting sent me was standard size. I fooled around with different ways to put it in the tray until Tech Support finally figured out what was going on and told me to break the SIM. What?
Well, it turns out the thing was invisibly scored so I could break a micro sized SIM out of the standard size - and then scored again to break the nano out of the micro. The thing slid in add all worked fine, but I'm not sure I would have figured it out on my own because it involved appearing to break things.
I'm sure there's a metaphor there.
Lesson: don't do this an hour before a meeting!
Buddha In Tree


Little Free Library Matching House 
Peace Bird House


Through The Plant Store Fence

No comments: