Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ten Thousand Days To Go!

30 years is roughly 10,000 days and, according to the actuarial tables, roughly what I can expect in this current body. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but it's the right order of magnitude.

Ten Thousand seems like a lot, but on the other hand, each day is one-hundredth of one-percent of what I've got left.

After that, the book is written, the file is complete, the Randy Winn Story is done. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not necessarily a good thing, it's just the way it is.

This greatly simplifies decisions. Each day is another paragraph to polish, another rivet to sink, another ingredient to throw into the crockpot. It can be an improvement or an embarrassment.

A decade ago, I was watching Friends reruns and thinking sadly, "Look at those people, going out and having fun with interesting friends. Why can't I be doing that?" I turned off the TV, donated it to a thrift store, and found me some friends. I didn't want my epitaph to be "He'd seen every episode of Friends".

That was a good day. But today: what shall I do to improve my story?

No comments: