Thursday, March 19, 2020

Thursday At Home

Today Gaylen called and said IRS was granting 2 weeks of Administrative Leave related to coronavirus. He'll re-code the sick time I took earlier this week.
This means I have support (and income!) for self-isolating until after March 27. I will reassess then.
It feels selfish not to go to work but it would be selfish to do so, so either way I'm being faithful to my spiritual traditions.
---
I am spending this time cleaning, taking online classes. I took in a program about speaking online (specifically: winning speaking contests online, but the methodology fits any online speaking) and realized two things:
  • I tend to look at the screen, not the camera; I need to do something to focus myself on the camera!
  • My large gestures look very different online
  • My script needs restructuring to deemphasize myself - when I'm in person, the animal connection allows the self-focus, but that gets filtered out through the glass of the lens.
It's all very educational.
I also planted onions and the last of the chard seeds, and harvested more of the miner's lettuce for freezing (it'll be nice in soups in the fall). We must think ahead.
---
Late in the day I saw a post by my friend Jenn about mask donations to her ER, then a tweet by an MD asking for more. With a little research I saw some hospitals were reduced to asking the public to sew masks!
These would not be used alone for covid-19 patients, either as covers allowing the professionally built masks to be reused, or for less serious cases, such as people in the waiting room with a cough or who were just worried without a mask. CDC is allowing even scarves when there are no alternatives, so homemade masks are better than nothing.
I'm researching and posting about this, hoping to get some people interested in helping out, when Arthur announced it was bedtime - which it was. He warned me one or two more times, then went and expressed his cat rage by peeing on the bed.
I don't like it but I understand his annoyance. He's just not good with words.

No comments: