Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Social Distancing Wednesday

Shayla, Andy and Coco are now on their way to Arizona (actually I think Shayla will be staying with her mom here another week while Andy and Coco head south). It was nice having them here but it was only a temporary thing. Good luck to them!
It was nice to make more friends (who like to cook or make repairs around the hose) and it helped me realize I can use this home for more good; I just have to figure out how.
--
Today I called in again as part of the 15-day recommendation by my doctor (Dr. Ryan, as Dr. Wendy was out). I asked about the status of the Administrative Leave mentioned by the union.
Galen called back and said the message he'd gotten was that the union was mistaken; people can take sick leave and vacation time, and then could take LWP (Leave Without Pay).
Fortunately I have several weeks of vacation in stock, which I had planned to cash out to help with the transition to pre-tirement, but now is the time to use it, I guess.
Later, Galen called back and said they were looking into telework. I enthusiastically said I was interested.
--
I put in time on projects, but scheduled a walk for health which I used to go get some boxed milk. I don't really forsee food shortages but I don't want my cats to run low. While I was there, I got a can of sardines (plain, in water - no hot sauce) to see whether the cats will eat that.
------
Since I was at home, I was able to log into the WSBA/WPTL Executive Committee meeting on time and participate comfortably. However, when I think over the Toastmasters meeting yesterday and the upcoming Toastmasters and WPTL events, I believe I will need a wireless headset.
---
I moved the chickhouse up onto the cart, which left a rectangle of soil that I had hoped would be ready for planting. It still has some morning glory runners - those things are tough! - but I cleaned them up and dug the soil, ultimately planting the rest of the onions, the rest of the chard seeds, and the roots of the butter lettuce, with a little leaf attached to encourage regrowth, and a bit of transplanted miner's lettuce. Let's see how much grows!
I also harvested a bowl of miner's lettuce, all the dandelion blooms in the back yard (the front yard blooms I just cut off - I don't want to eat from that close to the road), and a little onion. They were a nice addition to my dinner burrito.

No comments: