Saturday, April 04, 2020

Saturday Journal

Imp Watches Yoga From A Safe Distance
Saturday 4 was the Toastmasters Region 1 District 2 Division D International Speech contest. I served as one of the timers. Since my computer does not seem to have the horsepower to support Zoom backgrounds (without super strange special effects) I was the other timer, which suits me fine.
I enjoyed the contest and the contestants were skilled. I saw consistent issues related to speaking on a laptop, notably
  • Directing the speaker's eyes
  • Glasses that both reflected light unhelpfully and concealed expressions
  • Difficulty working with crowd reaction, since there is no crowd.
I can now better appreciate why professional speakers like to work with an audience.
--
It is easy to lose track of the days, which makes journaling even more important, but easy too to let things slip. I am writing this Wednesday 4/8(!) so I don't recall whether I actually attended the Saturday Virtual Zoomba by Reema, but I'm pretty sure I did because I sent her a small donation sometime that week and she sent a thank you on the 4th.
I enjoy the virtual zumba; it's not as good as an in-person class but it's better than youtube videos because I have more of a sense of being with people. This makes me happy, and also less likely to goof off.
---
Ed has been promising to work more on the garden but he is distracted by other things and never does, after the first day or two of busting sod. I don't really care but I am concerned that he seems to be meeting with people as he works out the business with his landlord's mold. I am not getting a sense of urgency about fixing that problem; he says the landlord has the money to pay for it so I don't see why she doesn't just hire someone and set a timeline. I need to be a little more insistent on a plan. He's not much trouble other than the risk of bringing in COVID and the general annoyance of having someone around, but I need a plan.
Rhubarb Growing Multicolored

No comments: