Thursday, July 23, 2015

Birthing Story

60 YEARS AGO TODAY: My mother loved to tell me the story of my birth.
It was a hot summer Saturday afternoon, and seven women were going into labor at Providence Hospital in Everett. Because of the weekend, they were short staffed, with no laundry service.
Most of the women were first-time mothers. One young lady was having twins, and another had never seen a doctor (the region was much less prosperous than it is now.)
Mom had been through all this three times before, and so was not given too much attention, or one of the two birthing beds (Providence was tiny back then.)
She was lying in a preparation room when I decided to arrive. What can you do? A nurse caught me, and eventually a doctor came by to count my fingers and toes and sign the certificate.
"You sure were in a hurry," she would tell me and laugh. I guess sometimes I am; sometimes you just have to get going and let the doctors and the laundry catch up when they are able.
Happy birthday, mom, and thanks for all the stories!

No comments: