Friday, February 15, 2013

Three Days In June - by Yvette Recevuer

My mother's sister-in-law, Yvetter Recevuer, wrote the following in the February/March 2013 edition of "Our Canada":

THREE DAYS IN JUNE
On June 9, 1947, I was invited by a couple whose children I used to babysit to attend a dance being held in Polwarth, Sask. about 11 miles from my hometown of Debden. I had to ride in the back of an open truck to get there, since the truck's cab was full.
The dance hall had benches all around the sides, and a stove made out of an empty gas barrel at the stage end of the room. I was with a group of girls when, all of a sudden, a young man came up to me for a dance. I could see he had had too much to drink, and he began chasing me around the stove. Lo and behold, I was rescued by Terry Receveur. He led me out onto the dance floor, where we danced with the flow and had a very pleasant evening. As time went on, we attended more dances, and Terry decided he needed a car. He visited his cousin Glen, who dealt with cars in Prince Albert, Sask. Since money was not to be had, the best Terry could do in terms of payment for the 1930 Chev Coupe being offered was to give Glen a cow he had been raising and his bicycle. After the rather unique purchase, that little car showed up in front of my family's home many times. We always enjoyed having my younger brothers, Clem and George, ride in the rumble seat and my sister Annette up front with us.

On June 9, 1948, one year to the day of my "rescue" by Terry, he placed an engagement ring on my finger!


On June 9, 1949, we married! Our honeymoon was a few days spent at Lake Waskesiu, in a shack tent belonging to friends. While there, on a whim, we decided to paint the car. We bought one can of dark blue and another of black and mixed the two colours together. Each armed with our own brush, we proceeded to paint that poor old car. It had been full of scratches and pockmarks but, oh, how we changed its looks - it looked doggone good to me! My first driving lesson went well, but what a time I had with the gears!
After a few years together, we realized our farm needed a truck more than we needed the coupe, and that was the last we saw of our buggy. Now, we wish we had another one. We've been to car shows, but no luck finding a "new" vintage car just yet.
Yvette Receveur, Parksville, B.C.

No comments: