|Only a little soup left ... want some?|
Sunday at Big Al Brewing we had a little soup contest. The mandatory ingrediant was "beef" and there were four entries, ALL of them very tasty! The winner was Kris' Beef Stroganoff soup, and here's the recipe:
Let a handful of dried mushrooms go swimming in a cup of sherry for a day
- 1 pound chunk of beef with a bone in it and heavily marbled (noticable fat)
- 4 medium sized parsnips
- 1 large sweet Walla Walla onion
Put all the above into cast iron Dutch oven or casserole if you aren't lucky enough to have one.
Cook 4 hours at 300F
Remove from oven
Dredge out bones and gristle
Transfer carmelized veggies and meat to 2nd pot
- half cup sherry
- half tablespoon of marjoram
- half tablespoon of salt (or to taste)
- 2 and a half cups water
- 1 cup sour cream. We used a Mexican style sour cream from the Savon store in White Center; it has extra flavor!
Simmer for 45 minutes on medium high
You can add a quarter cup of chopped pickles, if you like that in your Stroganoff. We didn't do that this time.
Serve and stand back!