Friday, January 08, 2010

Winn Not Winnie

I was born "Randall Edwin Winnie" and, as a young adult, didn't like my last name so in my early 40s I changed it. This has had the unintended side effect of making websearchs for me by some of my earlier friends (I'm carefully refraining from using the term "old friends" ;-) since the naturally search for Randy Winnie.

So for the record and ... of greater importance ... for the search engines ... Randy Winnie, Randall Winnie, Randy Winn, Randall Winn - we're all the same person. In the Society for Creative Anachronism, I'm Syr Randall d'Artinual (although my membership lapsed long ago. I still enjoy the memories and some continuing friendships.

There are now several other Randy Winns out there, the most famous of which being a professional baseball player. In the early days of the internet, I was more likely the first one you'd find with the (by today's standards) primitive search facilities available, but now the first page or three of listings will be of the ballplayer, his games and stats, fantasy league results, and so forth. I don't mind; it's one of the few ways one can have any sort of anonymity perhaps: to have one's internet presence masked by a sports figure. Thanks Randy! I have no idea what sort of person you are, but on the evidence, you're a credit to a good name!

Other Randy Winn sightings on the internet:
Other Randall (Randy) Winnie sightings:

No comments: