In the old days (like 5 years ago) it was pretty neat to maintain a web site. So I got one ( http://www.rewinn.com/ ) . But it's become like tuning up your car: worth understanding in theory, but kinda pointless for most people.
First, there are too many better ways to maintain a web presences. Photos? go Picasa or Flickr. Casual writing? Lots of blog solutions.
Another second issue is that most well-rounded persons have interests are too broad to fit onto a single site. People looking for my brand of humor are not often going to be be interested in my old school photos; all those pages have in common is Me, Myself and I ... and that's not really relevant to anyone but me. And my wife (...I hope...).
So, I plan a conversion, moving my website content to appropriate freespots, with just enough interconnection for my convenience. Each freespot is organized thematically
- General purpose, unsorted ME : http://rewinn.blogspot.com/
- Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/rewinn
- Spoofs (chiefly political): http://www.thespoof.com/search.cfm?writer=6507
- Free CLE: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4freeCLE/
- Legal stuff in support of our troops: http://lawyersforwarriors.blogspot.com/
- St Edward Seminary Alumni: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/steds
- LawPoem: http://lawpoem.blogspot.com/
- 4freeCLE now a blog http://4freecle.blogspot.com/ AND on Twitter: http://4freecle.blogspot.com/
- Attorneys Assisting Citizen-Soldiers & Families: http://aacf.wordpress.com/
- ProtoType Bar Association http://prototypebarassociation.wordpress.com/ http://prototypebar.blogspot.com/ http://twitter.com/prototypebar
And handy utilities: