Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Autumn Crocus

These particular flowers I see in a bit of unbuildable land on the way to Target, where stairs go down a steep slop that for some reason is not overgrown. Perhaps the city maintains it; anyway these crocuses growing here and there on the slope are a nice change.


When I posted this on Facebook, a friend commented: 

"Here's what I used to do, back when I had a house with a front lawn. At this time of the year, I'd fork up each dandelion, and in the hole made, drop a crocus bulb. Come spring, the lawn would have crocuses sprout up in a naturalized pattern. By the time they're done blooming, it's time for the grass to get its first mowing of the year. Year after year, I had fewer and fewer dandelions in the front yard, and repeated crocuses. Wins all around!"

No comments: