Wednesday, August 30, 2023

My Peaches

 


The peaches are ready! I had the first one right off the tree today. I had one and it was so tasty!
I did not deliberately plant this tree; most likely it is the result of my tossing a pit into the front yard garden.
A few years ago, I saw a skinny little tree sprout and I pondered what to do. I decided to let it grow the way it wanted, and it has rewarded me with pretty flowers in the spring and, now, sweet fruit. It is still alarmingly slender; I worry that they weight of the fruit would snap the branches, but it hasn't happened so far. I considered culling a few but since the tree didn't seem bothered, I left well enough alone. Daily watering during the hot and dry times, of course.
Last year was the first on which I saw fruit. There were only 3 and they were way up high, but eventually they fell off ripe, and I got one before the wildlife.

No comments: