Saturday, September 28, 2019

Cat Care Saturday

Thursday I took Arthur to the vet because he has been inappropriately peeing and it's starting to grossly affect the humans. I've been tolerating it but I really should have acted sooner, and now that Kiara is in school it's really important to minimize distractions.
The last time he was in for an eye drain they suggested checking for a UTI but I said he hadn't been doing it much lately and I'd stepped up his mood meds so we put it off. However this week he flat out peed the bed under no stress at all. I'll admit I was angry at this but when upon reflection realized it was more likely the result of an involuntary condition than him being angry at having the bed all to himself when I left.
Thursday: no pee at the vet. He must have gone before we left.
Friday: back at the vet. Still no pee. They gave me a small pee tray, a pippet, a collection tube with stopper, and a small bag of hydrophobic litter. I locked him in the bathroom and awaited the result. At first he was puzzled and howled to be let out. I went in with him, and set him in the tray, and left again. About 10 minutes later he is howling and battering the door. I just have to go in and reassure him that this is only temporary. Instead, I see pools of pees atop the litter.
I have never been so happy to see cat pee in my life!
(Actually: I have never been happy to see cat pee, but there is always a 1st time haha)
I pippeted the pee into the tube. I think I overfilled it in my enthusiasm because the stopper was hard to emplace. Probably one has to leave plenty of ullage since air is compressible and liquids are not. Anyway, I got it to work, dropped it off to the vet and success! Nessa soon texted me that she'd be by with antibiotics because Arthur had the maximum amount of bacteria. I was a little surprised because she lives far north and this is out of her way, but that was a nice gesture. Heather showed me the medication which I promptly started Arthur on. I have hopes that this will clear up the problem, and this has been a lesson indeed.
---
I am moving the cats' monthly flea medication to the 1st weekend of the month so I can schedule it on the calendar. Today is the last weekend of this month so the next treatment would be the 1st weekend of November. This is stretching things out a bit (the treatments are supposed to be monthly) but we seem to be in a low-flea season.  #cat flea treatment gives me a handy way to keep track when I last did it. That's #ModernLife !
---
After caring for the cats I went to Julie and Hannah's to hang for their TimeBank Mending Meeting. I didn't have anything to mend but it was nice just to chat.
---
At home I worked on the upcoming WPTL/MELAW presentation and TM for Tuesday. There is so much to do to avoid housework!

No comments: