Saturday, April 14, 2018

I don't like DC movies

I'm systematically working on catching up on contemporary movies, in part so I can understand modern thinking and referants, in part because why not?
I've been working on superhero movies because, again, why not? and discovering a pattern. DC movies are sad and angry, for the most part, and leave me feeling much the same. The recent Marvel films are much more entertaining.
Now I haven't see the whole set yet and perhaps I will change my mind. Wonder Woman was the best of the lot, but Justice League was not very interesting and Batman vs Superman was just plain boring. In the latter, Batman has a problem: how to protect the world from Superman. His solution: kill a lot of people standing between him and Kryptonite. This is just stupid, both from a strategic standpoint and from an innocent-bystander standpoint - his Gotham City or Metropolis are terrible places to live. At least the Avengers face consequences when their superhero battles go wrong - that's the backline of "Civil War" and it made the story more interesting than "Batman vs. Superman"'s Doomsday fight. (And what's up with Lex Luthor anyway? He gains access to information from 100,000 worlds and instead of going, cool, I'm gonna be rich! he throws it all away on a crazy plan to kill Superman. He's not so smart).
But perhaps DC will take a lesson from "Wonder Woman". Perhaps not.

No comments: