Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Sunday Of Perspective

Sunday I went to Cyril's to pick up a couple of walkers to deliver to a veterans' advocate who was having difficulty walking safely due to chemo therapy. It turns out that the co-pay for one of these was $250, which is quite a stretch for someone who has just lost his paycheck due to illness.
Driving down south of Auburn was reasonably pleasant and directionfinding was easy with help from Garman. I delivered the items to his house, where at first his mother thanked me sincerely but protectively, since the chemo is exhuasting. However I was then invited in because the guy wanted to chat.
It was really a great conversation; there's a lot to learn in the business of veterans' advocacy, and a limited time in which to learn it. If positive attitude can make a difference in beating cancer, then this is a candidate. It can be difficult for someone who has spent his life helping others to reverse roles and accept help, but that's something that we all need to do from time to time. It's not a reflection on one's innate ability or competence; it's just the way things are. However, at the end, I was actually asking him for help and advice on a couple of matters, and he cheerfully offered to make some contacts. I hope that's helpful for him as well as for the others.
I don't want to name any names, because you know, privacy and all that, but this is indeed why we do it. It sure does make my problems seem small!

No comments: