Saturday, November 16, 2013

Can You Beet This?

Where Late The Sweet Tomato Grew...
My beets are now flourishing even though it's November!
I have limited garden space. Among the tomatoes in my south-facing beds I had put a few beet sprouts, just to see if the root veggies would play nicely with them. Through the summer, the beets grew very slowly, perhaps because they tomatoes overshadowed them; there just wasn't that much light getting to their leaves.
But the tomatoes' time in the sun is over. As they withered, I cleared away the dead leaves and stems, making mulch out of most of it, although some remained attached to a few greenies to rest, wrapped in newspaper, to pink up indoors.
In response, the beets are flourishing. They are producing a lot of leaves and it looks like they're growing roots. The foilage is reasonably attractive and ... best of all ... they require almost no care at all in this season!
There's a lesson here, but I'm not sure what. I will definitely experiment more with multilevel gardening over the coming year.

No comments: