Monday, May 14, 2012

Running the Meter Backwards....

Electric Meter Spinning Backwards!
...it's a lot of fun to watch the electric meter spin backwards, thanks to our new photovoltaic array. We won't be getting full credit for the power we generate until the utility installs a special gadget for recording that, but for the moment, it's just nice to see that even with the clothes washer running, we are not only drawing zero power but being billed for zero power.
I'll have more photos of the process soon, but for the moment, I have to say that the entire process has been very positive. It has been made possible by a number of things coming together, of which perhaps the key is financing through a credit union. The wash of new funds coming from people who have moved money out of banks has to be invested in the community, and what more prudent investment than saving and producing environmentally smart power?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMGoodness ... that's totally awesome! I can't wait to hear the details! :-)

CelloMom said...

Congratulations! I LOVE to watch my brother's meter run backwards - and it's not even my meter. He's now considering adding more PV panels and replacing his 11-year old hybrid with a plug-in car. Us, we're blessed with the shade from a grand oak tree, which saves us from having to turn on air conditioning, but does snuff my PV dreams.