Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Want Fair Trade Stuff? Just Ask Your Grocer....

...my blogbuddy over at Reduce Footprints posted a great little article on how she wanted to get Fair Trade Certified organic bananas, but didn't see them at her grocer's. So she asked.

And when the produce guy said they didn't have them, she mentioned she'd like them.

She kept it up for a while and voila' - eventually the store tried stocking them!

In my experience, grocers want to know what their customers want. If you ask, they just might order some and see how it sells. So don't be shy - ask! And if and when the stuff comes in: buy it and thank the staff!. They took a chance on you, now repay them with your business.

I think you'll enjoy the whole story: "Banana fanna fo fanna ...". It's a good example of making a difference AND getting what you want, just by trying!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, so much, for featuring my "banana" article ... and for your comments on my blog. It just sounds so simple and almost ridiculous ... but asking really does work. I agree with you, also, that once they follow through, we have to, as well ... I bought the bananas and have since written to the store and the company, who distributes the bananas, to thank them. :)

BTW ... on a different subject ... I've passed your article on Agent Orange to some of my friends. It really is an eye opener and I appreciate that you give us a way to help. Thank you!

Take Care!

Small Footprints