Saturday, July 01, 2023

Car Free

I have been six months without a car, more or less by choice. It is now a lifestyle.
My wonderful 1999 Saturn SL1, purchased new and run 218,000 miles, needed a new trani and it's hard to get parts. I chose to let it go and see how life goes in West Seattle without one. Thank you faithful friend; you have served me well.
1. My feet can take me to all the groceries I need. I have learned to shop for as much as fits in my backpack, and if I need more, then go back tomorrow. The round trip is 3100 steps, which is a good start on my daily 10,000.
2. Our bus system takes me wherever else I need to go. I'm getting a lot more reading in than I did when I drove everywhere.
3. Every now and then I can rent a car for a day with unlimited mileage. It's way cheaper than owning it all the time.
I can see that this lifestyle would not be for everyone. I have the time to walk a lot - and need the exercise; the bus and convenient stores are key; I don't have anyone depending on me to provide transportation. However, for me this has been pretty much a plus, especially when I see the money I am not spending on gas,

No comments: