Monday, December 03, 2012

Wintergreen in Our Raingarden

Wintergreen settles in
On top of the wall forming out rain garden
Wintergreen was on the list of plants going into our rain garden. I was not familiar with the plant but when Kris and I went shopping at Village Green's seasonal closeout, we saw 3 or 4 tiny bushes with bright red berries, with labels that said "Wintergreen" so we picked them up.
It turns out that the berries are indeed edible and come out very late in the season, which explains the "Winter" part of the name. They're supposed to be minty in taste, which made me remember that "Wintergreen" is a flavor of gum or lifesavers; I'd never really appreciated that there was an actual wintergreen for that flavor to be referring too.
These appear to be tough little plants and I'm looking forward to watching them grow.

No comments: